Detox and LIVE!
Many people think that a detox can be drudgery…so difficult and restricting that life is just no fun anymore. Well, depending on how you do it, nothing could be further from the truth.
These past ten days, folks at Divine Power Yoga and Holistic Chiropractic and Healing Arts Center have been participating in a Ten Day Sugar Detox as part of our Health is Divine program. For October, the month of the year noted for sugar intoxication (Halloween) we gave us sugar for a minimum of ten days.
Here’s what it looked like in a nutshell. For ten days we avoided:
• Anything that is not real food (e.g. anything made in a factory that comes in a can, box or package) unless it is a canned whole food such as sardines or artichokes with only a few real ingredients such as water or salt
• Any food or drink that contains added sugar (including honey, molasses, agave, maple syrup, organic cane juice or artificial sweeteners), especially any sugar-sweetened beverages or fruit juices
• Anything that contains hydrogenated oils and refined vegetable oils (like corn or soybean oil)
• Any foods with artificial sweeteners, preservatives, additives, coloring, or dyes – basically anything that has a label or is processed in any way
• Anything sugar or flour based (cookies, cakes, candies, etc.)
• Grains (rice, oats, quinoa) and all foods made from flours (crackers, pasta, bread, pretzels, etc.)
• Starches (sweet potato, potato, squash, parsnip, beets, etc.)
• Dairy with added sugar (yogurt, sour cream, cheese, milk, etc.)
• Alcohol (wine, beer, spirits, etc.)
After seven days we gathered for a cooking class and got some feedback from the group. The first few days were rough for most people….food cravings, headaches, fatigue, crankiness were the main complaints. But after 2-3 days, energy came back better than before, food tasted better and cravings disappeared. Some even admitted to weight loss although that was not the primary goal.
This detox had no special foods to buy, no shakes or supplements. It was just real food, whole food, food that is good for you. This is the way our ancestors ate, the way our grandparents ate, before the advent of convenience food, industrial canning and packaging. Going back to basics is a simple way to detox that is delicious, easy and well worth it.
I’m feeling better than ever so I’m going to keep going….ten days and counting….not just a detox but a lifestyle! Are you interested in taking the Ten Day Sugar Detox yourself? Give us a call and we’ll help you get started! 630-708-6770.
Join us for a sugar free cooking class Monday, October 27th at 7:15pm….from Breakfast to Dinner….all healthy, all delicious, all sugar free!